Oh, hello there! I'm your friendly registered electrician in Corsham, here to talk to you about something very important - electric shock first aid! Now, before we get started, I just want to say that I am by no means a doctor so if you or someone you know has sufferent from an electric shock, you should get medical attention right away.
But let's talk about some simple steps you can take in case of a minor electric shock. The first thing you need to do is turn off the power source to whatever was giving you the shock. The easiest and safest way to do this is to turn off the big red switch on your fuseboard.
Once you've done that, check the person who has been shocked. Are they responsive? If not, call emergency services right away by dialling 999. If they are responsive, check for any burns or other injuries at the site of the shock. Burns can be treated like any other burn, start by running it under cold water for at least 10 minutes.
If there are no visible injuries, keep an eye on the person for the next several hours. Some symptoms of an electric shock, such as muscle pain, difficulty breathing or fuzzy eye sight may take some time to develop. If you notice any unusual symptoms, seek medical attention right away.
Now, I know this all sounds serious, but it's so important to be prepared in case the worst happens. And remember, prevention is the best medicine. Having an EICR carried out every 5 years and a visual inspection carried out every year.
That's it, folks! Just a few simple steps to keep in mind in case of a minor electric shock. Stay safe out there, and don't hesitate to call me if you need to upgrade or make your home electrics safe!